RCD / NEWS

Today is the start of a new era for Deportivo’s headquarters

04/12/2017 09:39

Real Club Deportivo’s headquarters (Plaza de Pontevedra, 19 1º), which has housed the Club's offices since 1972, begins a new era today, after having undergone a huge refurbishment during the last two months with which it has been updated to modern times.

The offices in Plaza de Pontevedra held, up to now, the presidency of the Club and the Protocol and Communication departments, as well as the Economic-Financial area and part of the Sports Management department. The new structure will also hold the Commercial, Security and Facilities departments.

The renewed space has four meeting rooms, named after the main venues with which the Club has counted on over its almost 111 years of history.

The meeting room is called Sala Calvet, after the gym where the Club was founded in 1906 and which was its headquarters until 1914 and between 1935 and 1936. The other three rooms have been named La Marina (headquarters between 1940 and 1962 and which continued to function until 1988 as the sports sections office and until 2003 as ticket offices), San Andrés (in Plaza de Santa Catalina, headquarters between 1962 and 1972) and Plaza de Pontevedra (headquarters since 1972).

The offices, which occupy the entire first floor of number 19, Plaza de Pontevedra, were donated to the club on August 26th, 1972 by Mr Pedro Barrie de la Maza after the construction of the building. Until this remodelling they were two independent properties. In terms of built-on surface, the first one (1st floor on the right) consists of 234 m2 and the second one (1st floor on the left) 85 m2. The total constructed surface is 319 m2, resulting in a useful area of 280 m2 in a single space that can accommodate up to 30 job posts.

The offices also host some of the Club’s most symbolic trophies, such as the Teresa Herrera of the 50th anniversary (the one in 1995 that Deportivo won in the final against Real Madrid), the Galicia Championship of 1927 (the first title acknowledged nowadays by a Federation), the Under 19 Honour Division Champions’ Cup '95 -'96 and the Bugallal Cup, 1912, one of the Club's oldest trophies, which is placed in the boardroom.

Deportivo’s headquarters will only serve for the Club’s operational work, since service to members, shareholders and fans has been centralised in the past few years in the Oficina de Atencion al Deportivista (Estadio ABANCA-RIAZOR, Avenida de La Habana s/n).

The Plaza de Pontevedra’s offices have been subject, through the years, to small successive partial refurbishments, which overlapped one another, resulting in an inconvenient location for daily work that did not respond to the needs of the Club in multiple senses: functionally, operatively, comfort ... Furthermore, this succession of small scope refurbishments, distanced in time and, therefore, not coordinated among themselves, led the property to offer a fragmented image from a representative point of view, not according with the size of the Club, nor with the necessary harmony between the work methodologies and the image projected abroad.

For all these reasons, a remodelling was proposed with the following basic objectives:

- Adapt the work, meeting and representation spaces to the current dynamics of elite clubs, seeking an adequate interrelation between the different departments involved in the management of the entity, promoting teamwork and common grounds, but preserving the necessary independence amongst each of them, increasing the levels of confidentiality of the most sensitive rooms, while trying to maximize visual continuity and series of spaces.

- Establish a clear difference between transit and public and restricted areas, avoiding cross circulation and giving access from the reception area to the areas likely to be visited by outsiders without having to go along places of internal use.

- Adapt working networks, facilities and technologies, and comfort to current needs.

- Give the establishment the ability to respond to possible changes in the management model, seeking that the offices adapt to the Club’s needs beyond those of the current management team. The intention is that future meetings will have their way of working needs met without the requirement of making large investments. For this purpose, a simple and neutral solution is proposed in this project, with the aim of having continuity over time.

- Provide the facilities with corporate representativeness functions, adapting the image of the offices so that they convey and formalise the current work dynamics that take place in them.

- Increase the capacity for up to 30 job posts in the offices.

- To take into account the economic situation facing the refurbishment with strict austerity criteria, giving efficient solutions from a construction, consumption and maintenance costs point of view.

To achieve the described aims, a functional office was projected, equipped with updated services and facilities, which aim to favour synergy between the different departments, with a flowing spatial scheme. The access is in the centre of the building (coinciding with the nucleus of vertical communication of the building), where one enters the reception of the premises. From this reception you can access the rest of the spaces, both public and private, following a circular route around the nucleus of elevators that give access to the rest of the premises in a radial manner. For this, an open work space associated to meeting and common rooms solution was proposed, with different degrees of visual exposure to the rest of the premises, using opaque and transparent enclosures with the intention of presenting the office as an integrated whole, providing it with the mentioned spatial flow, simplifying circulation and making the most of natural lighting.